An umbrella stroller is a simple and compact alternative to the standard stroller. It is recommended for parents who love traveling or commuting with their small children. An umbrella stroller is relatively smaller, lightweight, easier to fold and carry than other strollers. When buying these items, it is important for parents to weigh up their pros and cons as well as consider the key features of a lightweight stroller such as stroller, brakes and restraint system.
Advantages Of An Umbrella Stroller
- Comfort and Convenience – Pushing your child on an umbrella stroller is much more comfortable for you compared to carrying your child. It literally takes the weight of your child off your shoulders. Hence, you can keep your baby by your side at all times without exhausting yourself.
- Soothes The Baby – A gentle stroll down the park or around your neighborhood is a tried and true technique for soothing a baby.
- Safety – An stroller provides a safe environment for your child with protective frames, a safety harness, and a sunshade.
Once the baby comes, getting back into shape may be challenging. Strolling is a great way to combine quality time with your child and exercise. A brisk walk is not only a joy for the baby but also invigorating for you. If you are looking to go on jogs with your baby, consider looking for umbrella strollers that are specifically designed for jogging. Also, you should not go jogging with your child until they can control their head, preferably at around 8+ months.
- Convenient Transportation – With all the hustle and bustle of your daily activities, you may need to leave the house to pick up the older kids, get to an appointment on time, or to do some grocery shopping. With a small baby to take care of, things might get a little complicated. Fortunately, with the help of umbrella strollers, you can quickly unfold it and take your baby with you everywhere without much hustle. Additionally, it will provide an excellent way for your child to get some fresh air and see some exciting and colorful things.
Due to their small size, bigger babies and toddlers may find it uncomfortable. Also, most of these strollers do not allow for the adjusting of the seating position, making it an unsafe option for infants who cannot sit up on their own. Similarly, because of the one seating position, the child may not be able to sleep comfortably in a reclining position.
Key Features To Consider When Purchasing The Best Stroller
When buying the best umbrella stroller, go with the one whose handle fit is proportional to your height. Some stroller handles are adjustable and can be altered to fit your height. Taking a stroller with short handles may cause shoulder or a backache after prolonged use. If you are taller, find a stroller with handle attachments that go about waist level to provide a comfortable position when strolling.
Although it may seem like a strange feature to consider, it is not! This feature comes into play when your kid is throwing a fit in the park. In such a case, you do not want to be struggling with collapsing your lightweight stroller that has a myriad of buttons and levers. Hence, make sure you can use your foot to make the stroller collapse. Also, what may appear easy when done by another person may not be for you. Therefore, make sure you can collapse it with ease before buying it.
An umbrella stroller with an adjustable canopy enables you to protect your child’s eyes from the sun. The canopy should be able to tilt forward and backward to block the sun’s rays from all angles.
This is another key feature to consider when choosing the best umbrella stroller. You might need to put in packages and bags after shopping. It is also a great place to put those extra diapers. Hanging things on the handle may cause the stroller to tip over every time you take the baby out of it.
Before even starting your stroller shopping, it is advisable that you create a budget and ensure you stick to it as much as possible regardless of the overwhelming number of choices available to you. Also, take the time to do a little bit of research to determine what you can get for your money.
Determining what you will be using your lightweight stroller for is an important factor to consider when purchasing one. If you love jogging, running or taking frequent walks, go for a stroller that is suitable for all terrains. It should also be a little bit sturdier and stable in its build and handling. Also, consider getting an umbrella stroller with adjustable and locking wheels as these features will make it easier for running over different terrains with ease.
Another key feature to look out for is the ease of steering. Make sure you can comfortably steer the stroller as well as feel comfortable maneuvering with it through tight spaces. You should be able to walk using your regular strides without hitting your shin on it.
Finally, but not least, the most critical factor to consider when purchasing an umbrella stroller is safety. Some of these safety features include;
- Restraint Strap: A good stroller should have an appropriate restraint that will prevent your child from falling as well as keep them secure. If you can, go for a 5-point restraint with a shoulder, waist and crotch straps that provide the best safety.
- Tether Strap: The stroller should have a tether strap for your wrist to stop the stroller from rolling away.
- Parking Brake: A good stroller should have, at a minimum, one parking brake. The release mechanism should be located in an area where it is not accessible to your child when they are suitably restrained in the stroller.
When purchasing the best umbrella stroller, getting one that has multiple features can be a plus. However, just because a stroller has specific features does not mean that they work well. Some features are just a marketing gimmick to make the product look more impressive as opposed to beneficial components that increase its usability. Your main priority should be purchasing an umbrella stroller whose features add versatility and function correctly. Please, Share if you like it, or do not comment below….